Malayalam News

Female Actor Assault Case: Kerala HC Denies Bail to First Accused Pulsar Suni

The Kerala High Court, on Tuesday, refused to grant bail to Pulsar Suni, the first accused in the 2017 female actor abduction and sexual assault case, in which actor Dileep is charged as the chief conspirator.


On February 17, 2017, a female actor who predominantly works in Malayalam and Kannada cinema was abducted and sexually assaulted by a gang of men in a moving car en route to Kochi from Thrissur.

Suni, who was the survivor’s former driver, was charged as the ‘gang-leader’ who planned the crime. He was taken into police custody on February 23, 2017, just as he was going to surrender before the additional chief judicial magistrate in Ernakulam.

During interrogation, Suni confessed that he had contacted filmmaker Nadirshah and actor Dileep’s manager, Appunni, from Kakkanad jail, Kochi.

Following this, Dileep was arrested on July 10, that same year, for allegedly orchestrating the abduction and sexual assault, and offering Rs 2 crore to Suni to attack the female actor and shoot a video of her. After 85 days in prison, Dileep was released on bail on October 3, 2017.

Suni, who is currently in prison, moved the Kerala HC seeking bail. In his application, he had cited security threats inside the prison as his reason for seeking bail.

However, Justice PV Kunhikrishnan rejected his plea and added that bail cannot be granted to him at this stage. 

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court granted bail to Martin Antony, the second accused in the assault case. Martin was the one who drove the car while the assault took place. When opposing Martin’s bail plea, the prosecution had argued that Suni and other accused may seek bail if Martin’s plea was granted.

It is notable that the case recently gained momentum, after nearly five years, when some serious allegations were made by filmmaker Balachandra Kumar at the end of 2021. He alleged that Dileep knew Pulsar Suni and that he had seen Suni at Dileep’s house on campus.


Following this, the survivor sought further investigation in the case, and the court ordered a fresh probe. 

As part of this investigation, Dileep was questioned for seven hours on Monday and was asked to return on Tuesday for a second day of interrogation.

It may be noted that the HC has directed the investigation agency to conclude the probe by April 15


For a full timeline of the female actor abduction and assault case, see here.