India's Premier Cinema Magazine

World News

Prince Harry Opens Up About Split With British Royal Family in Interview Clip, Says Biggest Concern was History Repeating Itself

RedditWhatsapp
Photo Source: Silverscreen Media Library

Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex and a member of the British Royal Family, said that his biggest concern was history repeating itself regarding his late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, in an interview with Oprah Winfrey that will be aired on March 7.

This will be the royal couple’s first interview to a television channel after their much-debated split from the Royal Family in 2020. They are expected to open up about their decision to step back from royal duties in the interview.

The American broadcaster and television network CBS released  two short clips from the Oprah Winfrey interview featuring Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the former American actor and the Duchess of Sussex.

In the interview, referring to his mother who was harassed by the British press, Prince Harry said that his “biggest concern was history repeating itself”. Princess Diana died at the age of 36 in 1997 in a tragic car accident in Paris after her divorce from Prince Charles. At the time of her death, paparazzi had been tailing her in cars and motorcycles hoping to click a photo of her and her then rumoured boyfriend Egyptian billionaire Emad ‘Dodi’ Fayed.

Prince Harry mentioned in the interview that he was “relieved and happy to be here talking to you with my wife by my side” and that he was not alone in the decision and facing its consequences. He also said that he can not imagine how difficult it was for “her (Princess Diana) to go through this process by herself all those years ago” because it has been “unbelievably tough for the two of us but at least we had each other”.

In the brief video clips, Winfrey said that there is “no subject that’s off-limit” with the couple saying “some pretty shocking things here” and that there were “almost unsurvivable” situations in their lives.

Recently, the Royal family had announced that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed that they will not be returning as working members of the Royal family and that they were stepping away from the duties and responsibilities as senior royal members.

However, in a recent interview with James Corden on his show The Late Late Show, that aired on February 26, Prince Harry said that “it was stepping back rather than stepping down”, a decision he took as a father and as a husband. He also added that he “never walked away” and “as far as I am concerned, whatever decisions are made on that side, he will never walk away” dedicating his life to public service which, Markle up signed for as well.

Prince Harry said in the interview with Corden that the “toxic” environment that the tabloids and the media created for the Royal family was affecting his mental health, which prompted the decision of stepping back.

Speaking about the historical drama series The Crown streaming on Netflix, Prince Harry said it is “obviously fictional” but “loosely based on truth”, which does not bother him as much the stories reported on him or about his family in the media does which he has “real issues” with.

© Copyright 2013 - 2021 Silverscreen Media Inc.