Sherlyn Chopra, the Hindi actor, has been summoned by the Property Cell of the Mumbai Crime Branch on Friday for questioning in connection to actor Shilpa Shetty’s husband and businessman Raj Kundra‘s pornography case, ANI reported.
Earlier, on July 22, Chopra had taken to Twitter to speak about the case for the first time since Kundra was arrested on July 19 as the “key conspirator” in a case allegedly involving the production of pornographic videos under the guise of filming OTT content.
In a video addressed to “journalists and media personalities,” Chopra said, “I would like to inform you all that the first person to give a statement to the investigating team of the Maharashtra Cyber Cell was none other than me.”
She further added that when the Maharashtra Cyber Cell had sent her a summons notice, she had gone to their office in March and given her “neutral” statement.
However, Chopra did not reveal anything about the case in her video. “Though there is a lot to say on this case, since this matter is sub judice, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the same,” she said, adding, “I would request all of you, especially journalists, to please get in touch with the Maharashtra Cyber Cell and place your questions before them. You can also request them to share some excerpts from my statement.”
So far, 11 people including Kundra have been arrested in connection to the case.
According to the Crime Branch, the pornographic content they filmed was sent to a UK production company named Kenrin, registered by Kundra’s brother-in-law Pradeep Bakshi, and then uploaded on various apps using foreign IP addresses to evade Indian law.
During a press conference on July 21, following Kundra’s arrest, Joint Commissioner Bharambe had appealed to the victims in this case to come forward and register a complaint.
According to a Times Now report, the Crime Branch recorded a victim’s statement on Thursday alleging that her private parts were shown in a video uploaded on the Hotshot app. While she had agreed to sign a contract on the condition that her private parts would not be shown in the video, she later found out that the video was uploaded on the app without any cuts and edits, the victim said. She had then filed a complaint with the Malvani Police Station.
Meanwhile, after his bail plea was denied by the Magistrate Court, Kundra approached the Mumbai Sessions Court challenging the order passed by Magistrate Court. On Thursday, the Sessions Court issued a notice in the plea, asking the prosecution to file a response.