Actor Taapsee Pannu on Saturday broke her silence on Twitter regarding the recent raids by the Income Tax department that took place in her properties. While she did not reveal much about the outcome of the raid, she sarcastically wrote that the raid was to search her memories of the raid that happened in 2013 “according to our honourable finance minister”.
The response from Pannu was regarding the comment made by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Friday stating that properties of filmmaker Anurag Kashyap and Pannu were raided in 2013 as well, but no issue was made out then as it is being done now.
In an interaction with the press at the Indian Women’s Press Corps, Sitharaman said, “First of all, I am not commenting on any A or B individual. (But) since the names were taken, (I want to say) the very same names were raided in 2013.”
Pannu claimed in her tweet that no such incident had occurred. According to a report in Bollywood Hungama, which was published in 2013, filmmaker Anurag Kashyap was raided by a team from the Service Tax Department who carried out an investigation at the filmmaker’s office in Mumbai and charged him guilty for service tax evasion of Rs 55 lakh. Pannu’s name has no mention in reports from the said year.
Also in her tweet, the Manmarziyaan actor said that the three days of “intense” search was involving an “alleged bungalow in Paris” and an “alleged receipt of 5 crores”.
2. The “alleged” receipt worth 5 crores to frame n keep for future pitching coz I’ve been refused that money before 😡
— taapsee pannu (@taapsee) March 6, 2021
Earlier on Thursday, the Income Tax department said in a press release that their searches have found inconsistencies in cash payments worth Rs 5 crore received by Pannu.
The raids had started on Wednesday. The others searched during the raids include some employees of Phantom Films, which was dissolved in 2018, and its other promoters director-producer Vikramaditya Motwane, producer Vikas Bahl and producer-distributor Madhu Mantena.