Waiting for Prabhu Deva at the banquet hall of a five-star hotel in Chennai on Thursday – for almost two hours – we were quite excited. After all, the actor was about to meet us after four years. Thanks to his Bollywood projects, he hardly visits Chennai these days. While we were wondering about the purpose of this press meet, Prabhu Deva walked in. Visibly fit, and toned than before. And, with a few flecks of grey in his beard. But otherwise, he was still the Prabhu Deva we knew from Minsara Kanavu.
“Romba naal aachu la, summa ungala paakalamnu vandhen,” he began with a measured smile. It was a while before we realised that he actually meant what said.
Prabhu Deva didn’t have an agenda.
“Vanakkam! How are you all?” he tried again, as the banquet hall grew strangely silent.
Slowly, though, conversation began to flow.
What we saw, and heard:
- Prabhu Deva has completed 90 per cent of shooting for Action Jackson, his next directorial venture in Hindi. Three more songs have to filmed, post which the team will go to Austria soon. Action Jackson will hit theatres in December.
- After Vedi, Prabhu Deva hasn’t made a Tamil film. He assured us that he will direct a Tamil film soon. “Romba aasaiya irukku. I will come back to Tamil soon.”
- “Tamil cinema has evolved a lot, and I’m happy about it,” he declared. Though he is busy with his Bollywood projects at the moment, the choreographer-actor-director catches up with the latest releases.
- ABCD Part 2 will feature Prabhu Deva in the lead role. “I’ve been dancing a lot with young people. Hence, I’ve lost a lot of weight.”
- Dubbing Sonakshi Sinha as “one of the most sportive actresses”, Prabhu Deva revealed that she didn’t have any qualms to work in a multi-starrer like Action Jackson. The film has three heroines.
- Actor Vijay is his favourite dancer. We are very sorry for Prabhu Deva, who has forever been fielding this question. His answer has always been constant.
- Prabhu Deva prefers making commercial films. When asked whether he aspires to bag a National Award, he said, “Avlo arivu illa!”
- He also assured us that he will not give up choreography, come what may.
- Prabhu Deva regularly choreographs for director Shankar’s films. He seemed disheartened at not being able to work for I.
- When we thought we were done with all questions, Prabhu Deva had to field a final one: “Do you like being single?” He batted that with a bright, awkward smile and a flat “yes”.