There was a lot of love on display last year. Of the interesting kind. While we got to watch some mature romance, courtesy Pannaiyarum Padminiyum, and a passionate one in KTVI, there were also some quirky couples who entertained us with their antics.
A look at 2014’s onscreen ‘couples’ we just couldn’t get enough of:
1. Jayaprakash & Thulasi – Pannaiyarum Padminiyum
This adorable couple flew the flag for mature romance this year. The super-hit song from the film’s soundtrack – Unakkaga Poranthene – lovingly picturised the romance between the Pannaiyar and his wife. And how well it fit!
2. Kreshna & Ma Ka Pa Anand – Vaanavarayan VallavarayanFrom flaunting waxed chests to drinking Napoleon till dawn, these two bros outshone Monal Gajjar’s purple eyes.
3. RJ Balaji & Jai – VadacurrySwathi Reddy may have been the love interest of Jai for Vadacurry, but it was RJ Balaji who was his soul-mate.
4. Suriya & Vidyut Jammwal – Anjaan
Stylish clothes, matching swagger and a propensity to look at each other intensely made Suriya and Vidyut the most prominent couple in Anjaan.
So much so that Samantha Ruth Prabhu was forced to wear a bikini to get some attention.
5. Santhosh Pratap & Akila Kishore – Kathai Thiraikkathai Vasanam IyakkamSanthosh and Akila brought to life a young, wild and passionate couple striving for normalcy and intimacy.
6. Sibiraj & Idoh – Naaigal JaakirathaiBromance of the best kind happened when Sibi met Idoh in real as well as reel life. They have more in common than your average Tamil cinema couple. Both men brood over their dark pasts, are unable to live without each other, and have the kind of love that others can only dream of.
7. Prakash Raj & Sneha – Un Samayal Araiyil
Given that the Malayalam original of this film was such a huge hit and that Prakash Raj had cast himself in the Tamil remake, it’s no surprise that this movie has made it to the list. The taciturn Kalidasa falls for the reserved Gowri and a romance develops, but only after they discover their shared love for cooking. In the age when people fall in love apdiye, this couple’s romance was a breath of fresh air.