Renowned singer Nagore Hanifa, who enthralled music lovers with his raw and rustic voice, died last Thursday. He was 97. Fondly called ‘Isai Murasu’, he regularly sang at DMK meetings. Hanifa lived in Nagore which is famous for its dargah. His songs, however, transcended all religious boundaries. Some of his best songs to listen today:
1. This devotional song by Nagore Hanifa begins by praising Allah, but includes some interesting factoids about life. Sample: Aadai Indri Pirandhome, Aasai Indri Pirandhoma?
2. Did you know that he used to sell handloom clothes along with Aringnar Anna in Trichy? Their selling point? A Hanifa song placed in context.
Selaigal Vettigal Vaanguveer, Dravida Naatin Semam Vendi, Singara Aadaigal Vaanguveer.
3. In 1955, HMV Retail Ltd recorded Hanifa’s voice for a song titled Azhaikindrar Anna and released a copy of it all over Tamil Nadu. This particular song was considered path-breaking as it brought a change in TN politics. It was also one of the best-selling albums of Nagore Hanifa.
4. Kadalile Thanimai: This is a Nagore Hanifa classic, composed by Ilaiyaraaja for the movie Sembaruthi. It is about love failure – and strikes a chord instantly.
5. When anti-Hindi agitations were raging in Tamil Nadu, Hanifa opened a DMK meeting with his song, Odi Vandha Hindi Penne Kel – Nee Thedi Vandha Kozhaiulla Naadu Idhu Allave?
Image Courtesy: Vikatan