Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein is likely to be stripped off his Legion of Honour award — France’s highest civilian distinction. According to The Independent, President Emmanuel Macron has said that steps have been taken to take away the award in the wake of sexual harassment allegations mounting against the Hollywood mogul.
Apart from top actresses like Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Ashley Judd and others, some French actresses, too, have alleged sexual misconduct from Weinstein, prompting Macron to take action.
Meanwhile, Bob Weinstein, Harvey’s brother and co-founder of their company, tells The Hollywood Reporter that he is sickened by his brother’s remorse. Speaking to THR, he said:
“I find myself in a waking nightmare. My brother has caused unconscionable suffering. As a father of three girls, I say this with every bone in my body — I am heartbroken for the women that he has harmed. I’m a fighter. For my entire adult life, I fought for the films I want to see the light of day. I have fought for my employees, who have dedicated their lives to achieving the vision of this company that me and my brother founded. But I cannot fight what is indefensible.”
Bob further added that his brother deserves to be kicked out of the Academy, a decision that took place on Saturday. The company will also come up with a new name.
Apart from Bob’s account, their company — The Weinstein Company — has pulled actor Benedict Cumberbatch-starrer The Current War from its planned November release date. It has been pushed to an undecided 2018 release in the wake of scandal.
The film’s writer Michael Mitnik also dropped out of a panel that was scheduled for Thursday night at the New York Film Festival. Sources said Mitnick decided it wouldn’t be appropriate to promote The Current War due to the scandal surrounding Weinstein, reports Variety.com.
On Tuesday, a second report from the New Yorker worsened the crisis, adding three claims of rape to the allegations.
Recently, British actress Lysette Anthony has claimed that the Hollywood producer raped her. According to Variety.com, she reported the assault to the police last week. Anthony, who stars in the British soap opera Hollyoaks, said the rape took place in her home here in the 1980s.
She described the attack as “pathetic and revolting” and said it left her feeling “disgusted and embarrassed”.
Weinstein has denied previous accusations of criminal sexual harassment, rape and sexual assault.
A former Miramax employee has claimed Weinstein, the former boss of Miramax, raped her in the basement of his London office 25 years ago.
(With inputs from IANS)
Feature Image: CNN.com