Online streaming giant Netflix has reportedly threatened to withdraw from the Cannes Film Festival over the new rule that bans Netflix movies from entering the main competition at the international film fest, reported The Hollywood Reporter.
According to the report, Netflix has threatened not to bring any titles to the world’s largest movie event after festival director Thierry Fremaux said last month that he won’t screen any Netflix films in competition.
Alfonso Cuarón’s Roma, Paul Greengrass’s Norway, Jeremy Saulnier’s Hold the Dark, Orson Welles’s The Other Side of the Wind, and Morgan Neville’s documentary They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead, about Welles, are the movies that were scheduled to be screened at the event starting May 8.
Earlier, Spanish filmmaker and last year’s jury president Pedro Almodovar said he didn’t think the Palme d’Or should go to a film without a theatrical release. Last year, Cannes film festival screened the movie Okja that received mixed responses from the critics while some booed when the Netflix logo appeared on the screen.
This year’s Cannes lineup of film is due to be announced on April 12. Earlier, it was reported that Asghar Farhadi’s Everybody Knows will be the opening movie at the festival, and Disney’s Solo: A Star Wars Story, which will screen out of the competition section.