The second look poster of Thirimali, the upcoming Malayalam film starring actor Bibin George in the lead role, was released on Saturday by several Malayalam actors including Suresh Gopi, Kunchacko Boban on social media. 

The film is produced by SK Lawrence under the Angel Maria Cinemas banner, with Nishad CZ Kasargod serving as the executive producer. Thirimali is directed by debutant Rajiv Shetty. He has also co-written the script with Xavier Alex.

In conversation with Silverscreen India, director Rajiv who has previously worked as an associate to directors Rafi Mecartin and Shafi, said, “Thirimali is a travel comedy entertainer film. The story revolves around three people who embark on a journey to Nepal in search of a Nepalese person. The film also stars actors Johny Antony, Dharmajan Bolgatty in pivotal roles along with some Nepalese actors including Swastima Khadka.”

Speaking about how the film was conceived, Rajiv said that along with his co-writer Xavier, he brainstormed an idea to make a travel-based film during the pandemic induced lockdown, last year.

“After Covid-19 hit the country in March 2020, travelling to different places became a far-fetched plan. And most of the people have not travelled in over a year now. So we wanted to package the film as a travel comedy that will entertain the family audience. When we pitched it to Lawrence he liked the idea and agreed to produce it.” he added.  Rajiv also said that the duo took seven months to finish the script. 

Speaking about the film’s production stage, Rajiv said that Thirimali’s filming began in July this year. He also added that they chose Nepal as it was a neighbouring country and it was not affected by Covid-19 at the time of filming. Noting that the second half of the film is set in Nepal, Rajiv said that 70% of the filming was completed in Nepal and the team is planning to shoot the remaining 30% in parts of Ernakulam and Kochi, in Kerala, next week.

“The film has three songs composed by Bijibal. One of them is a Hindi song sung by Sunidhi Chauhan,” Rajiv said. The film’s technical crew includes cinematographer Faisal Ali, project designer Badusha, editor Sajan and art director Akhil Raj Chirayil. 

Rajiv said that the team’s first choice is theatrical release as Thirimali is a “big canvas film”. However, the decision on the film’s release will be made later according to the circumstances, he added.