Global online database IMDb on Saturday unveiled the list of most popular Indian films and web series of 2021, and so far, Vijay-starrer Master tops the list.
The platform, in a press release, stated that it determines its list based on IMDbPro data on the page views of IMDb users in India rather than rankings based on box office, small statistical samplings, or reviews from professional critics.
Master, the Tamil film directed by Lokesh Kangaraj and starring Vijay, which was released in the theatres on Pongal this year and then went on to stream on Amazon Prime, has bagged the top position on the list, followed by the TVF and YouTube Hindi web series Aspirants.
Here are the most popular titles of 2021 on IMDb so far:
1. Master (streaming on Amazon Prime Video) – Starring Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi, this Tamil film revolves around an alcoholic professor JD who joins a juvenile school and clashes with a gangster who uses the school’s children for criminal activities.
2. Aspirants (streaming on TVF and YouTube) – Starring Sunny Hinduja, Naveen Kasturia, and Abhilash Thapliyal, this series is about the journey of three UPSC aspirants and their friendship against all odds.
3. The White Tiger (streaming on Netflix) – Starring Priyanka Chopra, Adarsh Gourav and Rajkumamr Rao, this Netflix film follows an ambitious Indian driver who uses his wit and cunning to escape from poverty and rise to the top. The film is based on the New York Times bestseller by Arvind Adiga.
4. Drishyam 2 (streaming on Amazon Prime Video) – The sequel to Mohanlal’s Malayalam blockbuster Drishyam, starring him along with Meena, Ansiba Hassan, Esther Anil, Murali Gopy, Saikumar and Asha Sarath, picks up where the first film left off.
5. November Story (streaming on Disney+ Hotstar) – This Tamil crime thriller series, which marked Tamannaah Bhatia’s digital debut, follows a celebrated crime novelist suffering from Alzheimer’s who is found at a murder scene with no memory of what happened.
6. Karnan (streaming on Amazon Prime Video) – Dhanush-starrer Karnan is a Tamil film about a fearless village youth who fights for the rights of the people of his village and against the torture inflicted upon them by a police officer.
7. Vakeel Saab (streaming on Amazon Prime Video) – The Telugu remake of the Hindi film Pink, Vakeel Saab stars Pawan Kalyan as a lawyer helping three girls, who are accused of attempt to murder after escaping molestation, find justice.
8. Maharani (streaming on SonyLIV) – This Hindi political drama series is set in Bihar of the 1990s and stars Huma Qureshi in the lead.
9. Krack (streaming on Aha) – Starring Ravi Teja, this is a Telugu action film which follows Veera Shankar, a hot headed police sergeant, who forms a vicious rivalry with notorious crime figure, Katari Krishna.
10. The Great Indian Kitchen (streaming on Prime Video) – This Malayalam film, starring Nimisha Sajayan and Suraj Venjaramoodu, talks about a woman’s struggles after marriage to be the submissive wife that her husband and his family expect her to be.
According to the official statement from IMDb, these 10 movies and web series were released theatrically and/or online in India between January 1 and June 3, 2021.