Topics of the month; trends, tweets, and more
1. Oh Kadhal Kanmani: Mani Ratnam’s Oh Kadhal Kanmani has been creating waves right from the moment it was launched. The one-minute trailer that was unveiled, bore such a close resemblance to Mani Ratnam’s Alaipayuthey that we quickly listed out some moments that indeed seemed like it was inspired by the previous Mani Ratnam classic. Later, a lyric video and a teaser of the song Mental Manadhil was released, and garnered 1 million views.2. Suriya’s Twitter Entry: On March 7, Suriya opened a Twitter account. Soon enough, celebrities like Ritesh Deshmukh, Venkat Prabhu, Abhishek Bachchan and STR posted messages of welcome. A conversation between Premgi Amaren, STR and Suriya, was particularly entertaining.
3. Dandanakka: Dandanakka from Romeo Juliet, composed by D Imman was a tribute to actor TR. The song gained popularity for its quirky lyrics and Anirudh’s excellent rendition. However, it also paved way for funny memes about the actor, and a legal notice was promptly sent to Romeo Juliet‘s director and producer. The song, anyway, is now close to hitting the 1 million mark.
4. India’s Daughter: Emotions ran high when the BBC Documentary, India’s Daughter, was released on Youtube early last month. Twitter was flooded with anguished reviews, and a lot of stars vented their fury online..
Watched #IndiasDaughter in tears.. We Men of my country should hang our heads in shame … Shame on those who are banning this documentary
— Prakash Raj (@prakashraaj) March 5, 2015
5. Uttama Villain Audio Launch: Chennai Trade Centre played host to a 2000-something crowd during the Uttama Villain audio launch. The (second) trailer and the music were launched, and Kamal Hassan cracked the famous ‘Thagudu Thagudu’ joke on stage. Kamal’s daughter, Shruti Hassan was the first recipient of the movie’s audio. On Facetime. Of course, we live-tweeted the whole event.
6. National Awards: The National Awards for the year 2014 was announced on March 23. Bobby Simhaa, Uttara Unnikrishnan, Na Muthukumar, G Dhananjayan, Editor Vivek Harshan, and the movie Kutram Kadithal won awards under different categories. Twitter went crazy with congratulatory messages as soon as the awards were announced.
7. World Cup 2015: The World Cup semi-final match between Australia and India inspired greater emotions. Kushboo, Siddharth, singer Suchithra were among the few who were posting about the match.
Now that’s more like it. This is us. This is how we do it. Come on boyzzzzzz! Bye bye pup. #CWC15 #INDvAUS
— Siddharth (@Actor_Siddharth) March 26, 2015
Really want 2 slap dis guy whonua not worth a penny,if he comes up with blame game n holds #AnushkaSharma rspnsblty for @imVkohli dismissal
— khushbusundar (@khushsundar) March 26, 2015