Aditya Chopra is gearing up to direct his ‘riskiest and youngest film’ Befikre. Chopra, who is returning to film direction after seven years, made the official announcement regarding the film on Sunday, on the occasion of the 83rd birth anniversary of his father and veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra.
“With the blessings of my father, on his 83rd birth anniversary, I’m announcing my next directorial venture after seven years,” said Chopra in an e-letter shared on behalf of his home banner Yash Raj Films (YRF). The e-letter also features an “imaginary conversation” between Aditya and his father.
— Yash Raj Films (@yrf) September 26, 2015
Chopra’s last film was Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi in 2008, which had Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma in the lead.
The director says in the letter that although his father always wanted him to direct the ‘biggest films of YRF, the new project is ‘not that’. Befikre will “probably not” have the potential to be as successful as his earlier films like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Mohabbatein, he admits in the letter.
“I started writing it for fun while I was writing my most ambitious script. I thought I’ll give it to one of my directors and I’ll just produce it. But I enjoyed writing it so much that I knew half way that I’m going to direct it myself,” he tells his father in the imaginary conversation. “It’s just very different to any of the films I have directed so far. Till now, all the films I have directed or written have been intense, dramatic and emotional. This one is just a light-hearted romance, nothing more. It’s my happiest film. My youngest film. My riskiest film”, he says.
Picture courtesy: Zee News